Can a musician from a small town make a big impact? Warren Brown, multi-instrumentalist and internet personality, better known on Facebook as “Mr. Get’cha Peoples in the House”, knows the answer. With nothing except his family’s support, an engaging character and a willingness to take risks, Warren has harnessed the power and reach of Facebook to create buzz and a growing brand in the gospel music industry, “The Yank Nation.” Warren hosts and performs in a live-streamed music show, drawing tens of thousands of viewers every week via social media. Warren exhibits a savvy approach to media marketing which seamlessly blends the line between ministry and entertainment. He spoke to us after a show in South Florida, in which he livestreamed his performance with musicians outside his church for the first time.
Major points shared during the interview:
- Why Christian musicians can play in clubs and secular arenas without being condemned.
- His father’s influence on his musical training and marketing strategies.
- Growing up in a musical family with talented siblings, and how his father trained them with limited musical knowledge of his own.
- The difference between ministry and creating an entertaining church-based show.
- A recap of the Warren Brown Live in Miami event in September 2017 and how he approaches every live performance.
- Changing a social media strategy from simply trying to gain attention from other musicians, and instead developing a recognizable brand.
- How local musicians and Facebook trolls discouraged and almost convinced him to discontinue his show, and how he overcame his discouragement.
- Confidence and how he still gets nervous until he goes into character.
- Using Facebook responses to change attitudes and promote positivity
Quotables from the interview
- “You are not going to get the anointing by hanging out with people with the anointing.” – W.Brown
- “You’ve got the skill. Now put the mindset to it.” – Advice given by Warren Brown’s father
- CriStyle Renae: CriStyleRenae.com / CriStyleRenae1 / Facebook: CriStyle Renae Music
- Allen C. Paul: AllenCPaul.com / IG: AllenCPaul / Facebook: A.C. Paul, AllenPaulMusic
- Performed by Teja Veal, from “The Hopeless Romantic EP”
LEAVE A COMMENT
Do you feel your location has limited your creative options? What are some ways that you could overcome those limitations?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
We enjoy producing this show, but need your help to keep it going! Join the God and Gigs family by supporting us on Patreon.